Privacy and Security Risk Areas
As health care providers either accelerated their plans to adopt telehealth or dramatically expanded their current telehealth capacity in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency, they may have inadvertently increased their compliance risks related to patient privacy and security.
The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) announced some flexibility in the HIPAA Rules during the public health emergency, including waiving the requirement for covered entities to execute a business associate agreement requirement for certain video platforms and texting applications. Still, other HIPAA requirements remain in place and enforceable, including the HIPAA Privacy Rule requirement that covered entities provide patients with notice as to how their health information will be used and disclosed and the HIPAA Security Rule requirement that covered entities regularly conduct a security risk analysis and develop risk mitigation strategies. As patient information travels to and through the internet, on employee and patient personal devices, the potential for breaches and security incidents increases.
On this webinar, we will review the major privacy and security risks related to adopting and expanding telehealth services in the health center context. Presenters will review the applicable federal laws and regulations, including HIPAA and 42 CFR Part 2, and identify key compliance considerations when identifying telehealth vendors, negotiating contracts and business associate agreements, notifying patients about telehealth, training health center staff members and adopting remote monitoring applications and technologies.
- HIPAA Privacy and Security Officers
- Compliance Officers and Risk Managers
- Medical Leadership and Staff
- Administrative/Operations Leadership and Staff
- Substance Use Disorder Services Leadership and Staff
After this webinar, you will be better able to:
- Discuss how the HIPAA and 42 CFR Part 2 requirements apply when adopting and expanding a telehealth program
- Identify strategies to mitigate compliance risks related to your health center’s telehealth program
- Leverage the flexibility provided during OCR’s period of enforcement discretion to build a compliant telehealth program
As Partner and Compliance Counsel with the firm’s health law practice group, Dianne advises health centers on implementing effective compliance programs and on addressing top compliance risk areas. Dianne counsels health centers and other organizations on developing compliance programs that include the OIG’s seven elements, respond to identified compliance risk areas, and reflect the organization’s culture. Dianne also advises health centers and other organizations on patient privacy and confidentiality, including the HIPAA Privacy Rule and 42 CFR Part 2. She has experience responding to privacy and security incidents, including determining whether there has been a breach, notifying patients and the government, and creating corrective action plans. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 1.20 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
ATTENDEE REQUIREMENTS FOR CPE CREDIT
If you purchase CPE credit for this webinar you must satisfy the following conditions in order to receive your certificate:
- Answer at least 3 of the 5 polling questions during the webinar
- Complete the evaluation survey after the conclusion of the webinar or in the follow-up email
Upon completion of these requirements, FTLF will email you your CPE Certificate within five (5) business days.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: HIPAA Privacy and Security Officers, Compliance Officers and Risk Managers, Medical Leadership and Staff, Administrative/Operations Leadership and Staff, and Substance Use Disorder Services Leadership and Staff
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
- Attendance Requirements: In order to be awarded the full credits, you must respond to three (3) out of five (5) polling questions.
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 1.20 CPEFTLF is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
Access to the recorded version of this webinar is included in your purchase.
ACCESSING THE RECORDING
The recorded version of this webinar will be available within two (2) business days after the conclusion of the live event. You will have access to the recording for 180 days after the live webinar has concluded. Once posted to your account, you can view this webinar anytime on-demand during the access period identified in the Recorded Webinar Now Available email. For additional information on viewing and accessing webinars, view our full terms and conditions here.
All registrations made the day of a live webinar must be completed using a credit card or PayPal. We do not accept check payments or purchase orders for live webinars on the day of the webinar. If you wish to pay by check, please register in enough time for your check to reach our office; we must receive your check before we grant access to the webinar. If we receive your check after the live webinar, we will grant you access to the recorded webinar. For the most current information, please visit our FAQ page.
For orders of live webinars, FTLF will issue a full refund for cancellations requested at least one week PRIOR to the live webinar. We do not provide refunds for no-shows; however, you may request access to the recorded version of the webinar. If you ordered the wrong webinar and need to transfer your registration to a different program, please Contact Us. View our full policy on refunds and cancellations on our FAQ page.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred browsers.