Employer Compliance Obligations Under the Family and Medical Leave Act
Many employers struggle with understanding their compliance obligations under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). While organizations generally understand that the FMLA provides eligible employees with up to 12 workweeks of unpaid leave, they don’t have a grasp of the fundamental requirements of the FMLA, such as:
- Does the FMLA apply to my organization?
- What are the circumstances in which an employee can use FMLA leave?
- What steps can we take to certify that an employee has a legitimate reason for requesting FMLA leave?
- How should we handle employee requests for intermittent FMLA leave?
- What are our obligations to restore an employee’s job upon returning from FMLA leave?
- Can we make an employee get a second opinion regarding a health condition?
- What are our options if we believe that an employee is abusing our FMLA policies?
In this webinar, we will help you navigate through the fundamental and essential requirements of the FMLA. We will identify some of the common pitfalls that arise under the FMLA and walk you through the best practices to ensure that your organization satisfies its compliance obligations. And, we will discuss how you can establish an FMLA policy that will help your organization manage its employee leave processes and reduce its potential liabilities.
This program will consist of a substantive presentation followed by a question and answer period. To ensure that questions are answered, attendees are encouraged to submit their questions in advance of this webinar.
The On-Demand version of this webinar will be available for purchase one week after the conclusion of the live webinar.
- Human Resources Managers and Staff
- C-Suite: CEOs, CFOs, CMOs, COOs, and CCOs
- Directors and Supervisors
- Compliance Officers
- In-House Legal Counsel
After this webinar, you will be able to:
- Understand your organization’s compliance obligations under the FMLA
- Recognize the pitfalls in your organization’s current FMLA leave policies and how to remedy deficiencies in those policies
- Identify common ways in which employees abuse FMLA leave and implement strategies to reduce employee abuse of your organization’s FMLA policies
- Understand an employer’s rights and obligations with respect to medical certifications
- Understand how the FMLA intersects with other leave laws and benefits
H. SCOTT JOHNSON, JR.
A Senior Counsel with the firm in the Government Contracts, Litigation, Federal Grants, and Health Law practice groups, Scott maintains an active practice advising business and institutional clients on employment matters, commercial agreements, government contracts, and risk management. In addition to his corporate practice, Scott is also well-regarded for his employment and complex civil litigation practice. His complex civil litigation experience includes representing businesses in a wide variety of contract disputes and business torts including tortious interference, breach of fiduciary duty, civil conspiracy, defamation, fraud, and misappropriation of trade secrets. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 1.80 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
ATTENDEE REQUIREMENTS FOR CPE CREDIT
If you purchase CPE credit for this webinar you must satisfy the following conditions in order to receive your certificate:
- Answer at least 6 of the 8 polling questions during the webinar
- Complete the evaluation survey after the conclusion of the webinar or in the follow-up email
Upon completion of these requirements, FTLF will email you your CPE Certificate within seven (7) business days.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: Human Resources Managers and Staff, C-Suite: CEOs, CFOs, CMOs, COOs, and CCOs, Directors and Supervisors, Compliance Officers, and In-House Legal Counsel
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
- Attendance Requirements: In order to be awarded the full credits, you must respond to six (6) out of eight (8) polling questions.
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 1.50 Certificate of Attendance
- 1.80 CPEFTLF is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
Access to the recorded version of this webinar is included in your purchase.
ACCESSING THE RECORDING
The recorded version of this webinar will be available within seven (7) business days after the conclusion of the live event. You will have access to the recording for 180 days after the live webinar has concluded. Once posted to your account, you can view this webinar anytime on-demand during the access period identified in the Recorded Webinar Now Available email. For additional information on viewing and accessing webinars, view our full terms and conditions here.
All registrations made the day of a live webinar must be completed using a credit card or PayPal. We do not accept check payments or purchase orders for live webinars on the day of the webinar. If you wish to pay by check, please register in enough time for your check to reach our office; we must receive your check before we grant access to the webinar. If we receive your check after the live webinar, we will grant you access to the recorded webinar. For the most current information, please visit our FAQ page.
For orders of live webinars, FTLF will issue a full refund for cancellations requested at least one week PRIOR to the live webinar. We do not provide refunds for no-shows; however, you may request access to the recorded version of the webinar. If you ordered the wrong webinar and need to transfer your registration to a different program, please Contact Us. View our full policy on refunds and cancellations on our FAQ page.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred browsers.