Section 1557: What OCR’s New Rule Means for Providers and Patients
On June 12, 2020, the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced a new Final Rule under Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Section 1557 prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in healthcare.
In 2016, OCR published a Final Rule which defined discrimination “on the basis of sex” to include gender identity and termination of pregnancy. The 2016 Final Rule also included significant compliance requirements for healthcare providers to ensure access for individuals with Limited English Proficiency (LEP) and for individuals with disabilities, to develop grievance procedures and designate compliance coordinators, and to provide nondiscrimination notices and taglines. Since it was issued, the 2016 Final Rule faced legal challenges to the definition of “sex” and complaints related to the costs of certain compliance requirements.
The 2020 Final Rule eliminates the definition of “on the basis of sex” to include gender identity and termination of pregnancy and returns to the “plain meaning of ‘sex’ as biologically binary.” The 2020 Final Rule also eliminates some of the compliance requirements under the 2016 Final Rule and reaffirms others, including requirements to provide access for individuals with LEP and disabilities.
In this webinar, we will:
- Review the 2020 Final Rule and OCR’s recent enforcement actions related to the Section 1557;
- Provide compliance work plan activities to help ensure that your organization meets the new compliance requirements under the 2020 Final Rule; and
- Discuss how the 2020 Final Rule may affect patient numbers, services, and referral partnerships for LGBTQ patients.
This webinar has been developed for federally qualified health centers, behavioral health organizations, Ryan White grantees and other healthcare providers covered by Section 1557. Attendees may include:
- Executive leadership, including CEOs and COOs
- Managers, including Clinic and Site Managers
- Compliance Officers and Risk Managers
After this webinar, you will be able to:
- Evaluate your organization’s compliance with the revised requirements under the 2020 Final Rule
- Review/revise your organization’s policies, procedures, and care model to ensure compliance with the 2020 Final Rule
- Develop internal monitoring and auditing activities to identify your organization’s compliance risks based on OCR’s recent enforcement of Section 1557
As Partner and Compliance Counsel with the firm’s health law practice group, Dianne advises health centers on implementing effective compliance programs and on addressing top compliance risk areas. Dianne counsels health centers and other organizations on developing compliance programs that include the OIG’s seven elements, respond to identified compliance risk areas, and reflect the organization’s culture. Dianne also advises health centers and other organizations on patient privacy and confidentiality, including the HIPAA Privacy Rule and 42 CFR Part 2. She has experience responding to privacy and security incidents, including determining whether there has been a breach, notifying patients and the government, and creating corrective action plans. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 1.20 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
ATTENDEE REQUIREMENTS FOR CPE CREDIT
If you purchase CPE credit for this webinar you must satisfy the following conditions in order to receive your certificate:
- Answer at least 3 of the 5 polling questions during the webinar
- Complete the evaluation survey after the conclusion of the webinar or in the follow-up email
Upon completion of these requirements, FTLF will email you your CPE Certificate within five (5) business days.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: This webinar has been developed for federally qualified health centers, behavioral health organizations, Ryan White grantees and other healthcare providers covered by Section 1557. Attendees may include: Executive leadership, including CEOs and COOs, Managers, including Clinic and Site Managers, and Compliance Officers and Risk Managers
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
- Attendance Requirements: In order to be awarded the full credits, you must respond to three (3) out of five (5) polling questions.
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
Access to the recorded version of this webinar is included in your purchase.
ACCESSING THE RECORDING
The recorded version of this webinar will be available within five (5) business days after the conclusion of the live event. You will have access to the recording for 180 days after the live webinar has concluded. Once posted to your account, you can view this webinar anytime on-demand during the access period identified in the Recorded Webinar Now Available email. For additional information on viewing and accessing webinars, view our full terms and conditions here.
All registrations made the day of a live webinar must be completed using a credit card or PayPal. We do not accept check payments or purchase orders for live webinars on the day of the webinar. If you wish to pay by check, please register in enough time for your check to reach our office; we must receive your check before we grant access to the webinar. If we receive your check after the live webinar, we will grant you access to the recorded webinar. For the most current information, please visit our FAQ page.
For orders of live webinars, FTLF will issue a full refund for cancellations requested at least one week PRIOR to the live webinar. We do not provide refunds for no-shows; however, you may request access to the recorded version of the webinar. If you ordered the wrong webinar and need to transfer your registration to a different program, please Contact Us. View our full policy on refunds and cancellations on our FAQ page.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred browsers.