Managing Patient Privacy & Confidentiality
We've redesigned our HIPAA workshop: Day One will provide an overview of the HIPAA Privacy, Security and Breach Notification Rules and Day Two goes beyond the HIPAA basics to focus on patient privacy and data confidentiality issues that health care providers face every day.
Day One: HIPAA Basics for Health Centers
Devoted to the fundamentals of HIPAA compliance in the health center setting, the first day will begin with an overview of the HIPAA rules and regulations, followed by an an introduction to business associates, including details on appropriately identifying your health center’s business associates and developing business associate agreements. Finally, FTLF attorneys will lead discussions on the role of the Privacy Officer and Security Officer, creating a HIPAA work plan, and tips on developing a more robust HIPAA compliance program.
Session topics will include:
- Overview of the HIPAA Privacy, Security and Breach Notification Rules
- Identification of business associates and developing/reviewing business associate agreements
- Sample HIPAA work plan activities, including suggested policy and procedure reviews, training topics and areas for internal monitoring and auditing
HIPAA Basics is perfect for new HIPAA Privacy and Security Officers, Compliance Officers, operations, administrator, office staff and those looking for an introduction to, and understanding of, or a refresher around the basics of HIPAA.
Day Two: Privacy and Confidentiality Concepts and 42 C.F.R. Part 2
Health care providers often feel pressured to respond when patients, employees, law enforcement, and others are asking for patient information. Building on the HIPAA basics from Day One, Day Two of this workshop will examine the issues presented, identify the relevant federal laws and regulations and recommend best practices for maintaining compliance and managing risk in your health center. Attendees should expect lively conversation based on relevant case studies and real-life examples.
Session topics will include:
- Addressing social media risks and the use of mobile devices in health centers
- Maintaining confidentiality in health information exchanges, RHIOS, and networks
- Responding to requests from law enforcement and courts
- Identifying and protecting substance use disorder records protected by federal regulations (42 CFR Part 2)
- Compliance, Privacy and Security Officers
- Risk Managers
- Chief Operating Officers
After this training, attendees will be able to:
- Develop HIPAA compliance work plan activities that respond to key compliance risk areas associated with HIPAA Privacy, Security and Breach Notification
- Identify when a business associate agreement is required prior to disclosing patient information
- Determine whether 42 CFR Part 2 applies to the health center’s current or planned substance use disorder services
Day 1 - HIPAA Basics
Monday, March 18, 2019
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
|9:00 am - 9:15 am||Introductions|
|9:15 am - 11:00 am||HIPAA Privacy Rule|
|11:00 am - 11:15 am||Break|
|11:15 am - 12:15 pm||HIPAA Security Rule|
12:15 pm - 1:15 pm
|1:15 pm - 2:30 pm||Breach Determinations and Notifications|
|2:30 pm - 2:45 pm||Break|
|2:45 pm - 4:00 pm|
Business Associate Basics
|4:00 pm - 4:30 pm||HIPAA Compliance Program|
|4:30 pm - 4:45 pm|
Day 2 - Advanced Privacy and Confidentiality Concepts and
Tuesday, March 19, 2019
9:00 am - 4:30 pm
|9:00 am - 10:30 am||How 42 C.F.R. Part 2 Applies in Health Centers|
|10:30 am - 10:45 am|
|10:45 am - 12:15 pm||Key Compliance Requirements Under 42 C.F.R. Part 2|
|12:15 pm - 1:15 pm|
|1:15 pm - 2:30 pm|
Social Media and Communicating Electronically with Patients
|2:30 pm - 2:45 pm||Break|
|2:45 pm - 3:45 pm||Disclosure to Law Enforcement and for Judicial Proceedings|
|3:45 pm - 4:30 pm||Exchanging Health Information Electronically|
|4:30 pm - 4:45 pm||Wrap-Up|
Hyatt Place Washington DC/Georgetown/West End
Kimpton Hotel Palomar DC
The Wink - Washington, DC
The St. Gregory Hotel - Dupont Circle
Kimpton Hotel Madera
The Embassy Row Hotel
The Dupont Circle Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn - Washington DC/Georgetown Area
Embassy Suites - Georgetown
As Partner and Compliance Counsel with the firm’s health law practice group, Dianne advises health centers on implementing effective compliance programs and on addressing top compliance risk areas. Dianne counsels health centers and other organizations on developing compliance programs that include the OIG’s seven elements, respond to identified compliance risk areas, and reflect the organization’s culture. Dianne also advises health centers and other organizations on patient privacy and confidentiality, including the HIPAA Privacy Rule and 42 CFR Part 2. She has experience responding to privacy and security incidents, including determining whether there has been a breach, notifying patients and the government, and creating corrective action plans. [Full Bio]
A partner in the firm’s health law practice group, Molly advises health centers on the management of clinical, employment and workforce related risks, with a particular focus on professional liability, Federal Tort Claims Act, and HIPAA matters. From her experience as both a private attorney and in-house counsel, Molly knows the importance of managing liability and risk issues in mission-driven organizations. [Full Bio]
ELIZABETH "ISSIE" KARAN
Elizabeth is an associate working in the firm’s Health Law and Federal Grants practice groups counseling a diverse array of organizations including Hemophilia Treatment Centers, Federally Qualified Health Centers, primary care associations, and other Federal grantees. Elizabeth’s practice focuses mainly on assisting clients with the 340B drug pricing program, grants compliance, provider collaborations, Medicaid and Medicare reimbursement issues, and implementation of the Affordable Care Act. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 14.40 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: Compliance, Privacy and Security Officers; Risk Managers; Chief Operating Officers
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group-Live
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 12.00 Certificate of Attendance
You may also be interested in our workshop on Risk Management Strategies for the Opioid Epidemic, directly following this training on March 20 and 21.
To register for both trainings at a discounted rate, click here.
Each registration must be in the name of the individual(s) who will attend. This allows FTLF to communicate important course information to the actual attendee(s), add training materials and handouts to the right account, and properly assign certificates of attendance or CPE credits.
To register for this training:
- For yourself: login to your account and register with your personal information
- For someone else: login with the ATTENDEE’S login information or create an account for the ATTENDEE and register from the ATTENDEE's account
- For a group: email Learning@ftlf.com to complete group registration
If you encounter problems or have questions Contact us.
We accept payment by PayPal, credit card, and check. Payment for any live training is due upon registration. If payment is not received in full prior to the start of the event, FTLF reserves the right to cancel your order and deny you entrance to the training.
All cancellation requests must be received in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for refunds will be granted according to the following schedule:
- Requests received 30 or more days prior to the event will receive a full refund.
- Requests received between 11 to 29 days prior to the event will receive a 50% refund.
- Requests received within 10 days of the event start date are not eligible for a refund.
If there are extenuating circumstances regarding your cancellation, please reach out to the FTLF Training Team directly at email@example.com.