Health Centers and the No Surprises Act: Where We Stand in 2023
Effective January 1, 2022, community health centers and other providers have been required, under the federal No Surprises Act, to provide a “good faith estimate” (GFE) of anticipated charges for certain services to uninsured and self-pay patients. In this webinar, Susannah Vance Gopalan of FTLF and Rebekah Wallace Pardeck of Achieve Revenue Management will summarize the GFE requirements in the federal regulations and offer operational guidance for meeting those requirements. They will discuss issues including:
- Which appointment types and which patients require a GFE, when it must be provided, and what information it must contain
- How GFE requirements interact with requirements under health centers’ obligations under the Section 330 sliding fee discount program
- Answers to common GFE questions relating to specific patient populations and types of care
- Strategies for coordinating intake/reception, billing and clinical personnel, and maximizing capabilities of existing systems, to meet the GFE requirements as efficiently as possible
The presenters will also provide an update on implementation and enforcement of the No Surprises Act in 2023.
- C-Suite: CEOs, CFOs, CMOs, COOs, and CCOs
- Compliance Staff
- Fiscal Staff
- Quality/Risk Management Staff
After this webinar, you will be able to:
- Describe GFE requirements and timelines in federal regulation
- Develop strategies for harmonizing the implementation of the GFE with existing health center policies concerning patient communication and patient fees
- Create staffing and workflow models that can help your health center efficiently meet the GFE requirements
SUSANNAH VANCE GOPALAN
Susannah is a Partner in the firm’s health law practice group where she focuses on health care litigation and regulatory counseling, with a focus on Medicaid and Medicare payment, financing, and compliance issues. Susannah brings regulatory expertise to bear when advising clients and pursuing litigation on their behalf. She has experience negotiating Medicaid waivers and managed care arrangements on behalf of providers, provider associations, and governmental entities. She represented a group of providers in reaching a settlement in major Medicaid litigation. [Full Bio]
REBEKAH WALLACE PARDECK (Achieve Revenue Management, LLC)
President and Owner of Achieve Revenue Management, LLC, Rebekah has more than 20 years of coding, revenue cycle management, operations, and training experience. She provides training and revenue cycle management services to federally qualified health centers, rural health clinics, and medical practices and community health centers.
Previously, Rebekah worked for over a decade as a consultant with a national accounting firm and as the director of operations for management service organizations and hospital-owned multispecialty physician practices. She is experienced in consulting on professional revenue cycle analysis and enhancement, medical practice operations, patient flow redesign, business process improvement and development, staffing analysis and redesign, practice efficiency and productivity and educational sessions and training. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 1.20 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
ATTENDEE REQUIREMENTS FOR CPE CREDIT
If you purchase CPE credit for this webinar you must satisfy the following conditions in order to receive your certificate:
- Answer at least 3 of the 5 polling questions during the webinar
- Complete the evaluation survey after the conclusion of the webinar or in the follow-up email
Upon completion of these requirements, FTLF will email you your CPE Certificate within two (2) weeks.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: C-Suite: CEOs, CFOs, CMOs, COOs, and CCOs; Compliance Staff; Fiscal Staff; and Quality/Risk Management Staff
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
- Attendance Requirements: In order to be awarded the full credits, you must respond to three (3) out of five (5) polling questions.
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
Access to the recorded version of this webinar is included in your purchase.
ACCESSING THE RECORDING
The recorded version of this webinar will be available within seven (7) business days after the conclusion of the live event. You will have access to the recording for 90 days after the live webinar has concluded. Once posted to your account, you can view this webinar anytime on-demand during the access period identified in the Recorded Webinar Now Available email. For additional information on viewing and accessing webinars, view our full terms and conditions here.
All registrations made the day of a live webinar must be completed using a credit card or PayPal. We do not accept check payments or purchase orders for live webinars on the day of the webinar. If you wish to pay by check, please register in enough time for your check to reach our office; we must receive your check before we grant access to the webinar. If we receive your check after the live webinar, we will grant you access to the recorded webinar. For the most current information, please visit our FAQ page.
For orders of live webinars, FTLF will issue a full refund for cancellations requested at least one week PRIOR to the live webinar. We do not provide refunds for no-shows; however, you may request access to the recorded version of the webinar. If you ordered the wrong webinar and need to transfer your registration to a different program, please Contact Us. View our full policy on refunds and cancellations on our FAQ page.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred browsers.