The HIPAA Privacy Rule: Industry Update on Proposed Changes
The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) recently proposed major changes to the HIPAA Privacy Rule. If finalized, the proposed regulations will expand patients’ right to access their records, expand the ability of covered entities to disclose patient information for care coordination and case management purposes without a patient’s authorization, and permit covered entities to disclose patient information based on a good faith belief the disclosure is in the best interest of the patient. The proposed regulations would also eliminate the requirement to obtain written acknowledgment from patients of the receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices (NPP) while requiring covered entities to update their NPP and creating a new patient right to discuss the NPP with a designated employee. Comments on the proposed changes and responses to questions in the proposed changes are due to OCR by March 22, 2021.
In this webinar, FTLF attorneys Dianne K. Pledgie and Molly S. Evans will discuss the proposed changes and the expected impact on health centers, behavioral health providers, and other covered entities.
The On-Demand version of this webinar will be available for purchase after the conclusion of the live webinar.
- HIPAA Privacy Officers
- Compliance Officers and Risk Managers
- Medical Records Staff
- Clinical Staff, including Primary Care and Behavioral Health Managers
- Operations Staff
After this webinar, you will be able to:
- Respond to patient requests for access their records (to inspect or to receive a copy of their records) in compliance with the current HIPAA regulations and understand the changes proposed by OCR
- Disclose patient information for care coordination and case management in compliance with the current HIPAA regulations and understand the changes proposed by OCR
- Identify the current requirements related to the Notice of Privacy Practices (content, providing copies, patient acknowledgement) and understand the changes proposed by OCR
A Partner in the firm’s health law practice group, Molly advises health centers on the management of clinical, employment and workforce-related risks, with a particular focus on professional liability, Federal Tort Claims Act, and HIPAA matters. From her experience as both a private attorney and in-house counsel, Molly knows the importance of managing liability and risk issues in mission-driven organizations. [Full Bio]
As Partner and Compliance Counsel with the firm’s health law practice group, Dianne advises health centers on implementing effective compliance programs and on addressing top compliance risk areas. Dianne counsels health centers and other organizations on developing compliance programs that include the OIG’s seven elements, respond to identified compliance risk areas, and reflect the organization’s culture. Dianne also advises health centers and other organizations on patient privacy and confidentiality, including the HIPAA Privacy Rule and 42 CFR Part 2. She has experience responding to privacy and security incidents, including determining whether there has been a breach, notifying patients and the government, and creating corrective action plans. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 1.80 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
ATTENDEE REQUIREMENTS FOR CPE CREDIT
If you purchase CPE credit for this webinar you must satisfy the following conditions in order to receive your certificate:
- Answer at least 6 of the 8 polling questions during the webinar
- Complete the evaluation survey after the conclusion of the webinar or in the follow-up email
Upon completion of these requirements, FTLF will email you your CPE Certificate within seven (7) business days.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: C-Suite, HIPAA Privacy Officers, Compliance Officers and Risk Managers, Medical Records Staff, Clinical Staff, including Primary Care and Behavioral Health Managers, and Operations Staff
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
- Attendance Requirements: In order to be awarded the full credits, you must respond to six (6) out of eight (6) polling questions.
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 1.20 CPEFTLF is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
Access to the recorded version of this webinar is included in your purchase.
ACCESSING THE RECORDING
The recorded version of this webinar will be available within seven (7) business days after the conclusion of the live event. You will have access to the recording for 180 days after the live webinar has concluded. Once posted to your account, you can view this webinar anytime on-demand during the access period identified in the Recorded Webinar Now Available email. For additional information on viewing and accessing webinars, view our full terms and conditions here.
All registrations made the day of a live webinar must be completed using a credit card or PayPal. We do not accept check payments or purchase orders for live webinars on the day of the webinar. If you wish to pay by check, please register in enough time for your check to reach our office; we must receive your check before we grant access to the webinar. If we receive your check after the live webinar, we will grant you access to the recorded webinar. For the most current information, please visit our FAQ page.
For orders of live webinars, FTLF will issue a full refund for cancellations requested at least one week PRIOR to the live webinar. We do not provide refunds for no-shows; however, you may request access to the recorded version of the webinar. If you ordered the wrong webinar and need to transfer your registration to a different program, please Contact Us. View our full policy on refunds and cancellations on our FAQ page.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred browsers.