Responding to Subpoenas, Court Orders, and Law Enforcement Requests for Records
Legal requests for medical records and other protected health information (PHI) come into the health center is a variety of formats. From subpoenas from patients and lawyers and court orders from judges to requests for records from law enforcement officials, navigating the rules around responding to these various requests while remaining in compliance with federal and state rules around patient confidentiality can be difficult. Layered onto the complex rules around responding to these requests and demands is the recent ruling in Ciox Health v. Azar regarding the permissibility of charging third parties for patient medical records. The webinar will assist health centers in deciphering the various requests and demands they are receiving and how to respond to them.
- Compliance Officers and Risk Managers
- HIPAA Privacy and Security Officers
- Chief Information Officers
- General Counsel
- C-Suite Members
- Site Managers
After this webinar, you will be able to:
- Discuss the different types of subpoenas, court orders and law enforcement requests for records.
- Explore the various ways health centers receive these requests and demands for medical records and how to handle them.
- Evaluate HIPAA and other federal and state laws implicated by these requests and demands for medical records.
A Partner in the firm’s health law practice group, Molly advises health centers on the management of clinical, employment and workforce-related risks, with a particular focus on professional liability, Federal Tort Claims Act, and HIPAA matters. From her experience as both a private attorney and in-house counsel, Molly knows the importance of managing liability and risk issues in mission-driven organizations. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 1.20 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
ATTENDEE REQUIREMENTS FOR CPE CREDIT
If you purchase CPE credit for this webinar you must satisfy the following conditions in order to receive your certificate:
- Answer at least 3 of the 5 polling questions during the webinar
- Complete the evaluation survey after the conclusion of the webinar or in the follow-up email
Upon completion of these requirements, FTLF will email you your CPE Certificate within seven (7) business days.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: Compliance Officers and Risk Managers, HIPAA Privacy and Security Officers, Chief Information Officers, General Counsel, C-Suite Members, and Site Managers
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
- Attendance Requirements: In order to be awarded the full credits, you must respond to three (3) out of five (5) polling questions.
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
Access to the recorded version of this webinar is included in your purchase.
ACCESSING THE RECORDING
The recorded version of this webinar will be available within seven (7) business days after the conclusion of the live event. You will have access to the recording for 180 days after the live webinar has concluded. Once posted to your account, you can view this webinar anytime on-demand during the access period identified in the Recorded Webinar Now Available email. For additional information on viewing and accessing webinars, view our full terms and conditions here.
All registrations made the day of a live webinar must be completed using a credit card or PayPal. We do not accept check payments or purchase orders for live webinars on the day of the webinar. If you wish to pay by check, please register in enough time for your check to reach our office; we must receive your check before we grant access to the webinar. If we receive your check after the live webinar, we will grant you access to the recorded webinar. For the most current information, please visit our FAQ page.
For orders of live webinars, FTLF will issue a full refund for cancellations requested at least one week PRIOR to the live webinar. We do not provide refunds for no-shows; however, you may request access to the recorded version of the webinar. If you ordered the wrong webinar and need to transfer your registration to a different program, please Contact Us. View our full policy on refunds and cancellations on our FAQ page.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred browsers.