Head Start Fiscal Management (Virtual)
The Office of Head Start has always been concerned with the fiscal management of Head Start organizations. With the release of the Head Start Performance Standards (HSPPS) and the Uniform Guidance, fiscal management is more important than ever: the HSPPS require strong and effective fiscal management as well as a structure to ensure proper oversight of all program areas.
As a result, Head Start programs need to have a deeper understanding of what the law requires and permits and how to successfully innovate within the limits of the law. This understanding will not only improve accountability but also reduce risk and result in a high-quality program.
Join the nation’s leading Head Start attorneys for this two-day training addressing the hottest fiscal issues affecting Head Start programs since the release of the performance standards. Attendees will leave this hands-on training with practical tips and techniques as well as slides, supplementary resources, sample checklists and documents.
- Cost principles
- Facilities and property
- Financial management systems
- Reporting requirements
- Procurement policies and procedures
How is this training different?
- It’s collaborative. We’ve limited the training to a small group of participants so that attorneys can lead participants in collaborative, solution-oriented discussions.
- It’s active. This training is hands-on. Our attorneys will lead you in exercises to help you learn how to read statutes and regulations critically so that when there are changes to the law you will be better equipped to understand and adapt to the changes.
- It’s practical. You’ll leave this training with a roadmap to success, complete with to-do lists, best practices, and advice on policies and procedures.
- CFOs, Finance Managers, and Finance Department Personnel
- Other Managers involved in Budgeting and Funds Management
- Head Start Leadership, including CEOs, COOs, CMOs
- Executive Directors / Head Start Program Directors
- Grant Managers, Specialists, and Administrators
- Program Officers
- Grant Officers
After this training, you will be able to:
- Identify how to reduce risk within your Head Start program;
- Understand how the HSPPS affects fiscal issues;
- Discuss how to be innovative within the confines of both the HSPPS and Uniform Guidance; and
- Describe the key fiscal risk areas for Head Start programs and strategies to reduce risk.
Wednesday, October 14, 2020
10:30 am - 5:30 pm ET
|10:30 am - 11:00 am|
Introductions and Overview
|11:00 am - 12:00 pm||Understanding the Federal Funding System and Your Head Start Grant Agreement|
|12:00 pm - 12:15 pm||Break|
|12:15 pm - 1:15 pm||Understanding the Federal Funding System and Your Head Start Grant Agreement (cont.)|
|1:15 pm - 1:45 pm||Grants Update: Uniform Guidance Changes|
|1:45 pm - 2:30 pm||Break|
|2:30 pm - 3:30 pm||Match and Administrative Cap Waivers|
|3:30 pm - 3:45 pm|
|3:45 pm - 5:15 pm||Cost Allocation, Blended Funding, Time and Effort, and Indirect Cost Rate Agreements|
|5:15 pm - 5:30 pm||Wrap-up and Q&A|
Thursday, October 15, 2020
10:30 am - 5:30 pm ET
|10:30 am - 11:45 am||Cost Allocation, Blended Funding, Time and Effort, and Indirect Cost Rate Agreements (cont.)|
|11:45 am - 12:15 pm||Small Group Activity|
|12:15 pm - 12:30 pm||Break|
|12:30 pm - 1:30 pm||Audit, Audit Resolution, and Administrative Appeals from a Grantee Perspective|
|1:30 pm - 2:15 pm|
|2:15 pm - 3:15 pm||Compensation Issues & Cost Principles|
|3:15 pm - 3:30 pm||Break|
|3:30 pm - 4:30 pm||Contracting and Subrecipient/Delegate Relationships|
|4:30 pm - 5:30 pm||Federally Supported Facilities and Other Property Issues|
Wrap-up and Q&A
FTLF'S VIRTUAL CLASSROOM
This live, interactive training will take place in FTLF's Virtual Classroom, hosted by Zoom. Should you have any technical questions or would like more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-200-3822.
Nicole Bacon, a Partner at FTLF, works in the firm’s Federal Grants, Litigation, and Health Law practice groups. Nicole offers her clients specialized guidance in compliance with federal grant law including specific programmatic requirements as well as the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements of Federal Awards. Nicole represents a variety of community-based organizations, before State and Federal courts as well as administrative bodies. [Full Bio]
Serving as Senior Counsel in the firm’s Federal Grants, Health Law, and Litigation & Government Investigations practice groups, Kristen represents universities, non-profit and for-profit organizations facing legal actions under Federal health care and grant regulations in addition to the False Claims Act and Civil Monetary Penalties Laws. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Schwendinger served for nearly eight years as an attorney and senior counsel in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Office of Inspector General (OIG). [Full Bio]
Serving as Managing Partner of the firm since 2003, and a member of the Health Law and Federal Grants practices since 1992, Ted focuses his practice on helping organizations to solve problems. Ted’s expertise in financial, cost reporting, reimbursement, and administrative issues is widely recognized, and illustrated by his selection as a 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018 Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer in health care. Ted routinely handles challenging issues for clients such as government audits, internal investigations, and litigation. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 12.60 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: CFOs, Finance Managers, and Finance Department Personnel; Other Managers involved in Budgeting and Funds Management; Head Start Leadership, including CEOs, COOs, CMOs; Executive Directors / Head Start Program Directors; Grant Managers, Specialists, and Administrators; Program Officers; and Grant Officers
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group-Live
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 10.50 Certificate of Attendance
Each registration must be in the name of the individual(s) who will attend. This allows FTLF to communicate important course information to the actual attendee(s), add training materials and handouts to the right account, and properly assign certificates of attendance or CPE credits.
To register for this training:
- For yourself: login to your account and register with your personal information
- For someone else: login with the ATTENDEE’S login information or create an account for the ATTENDEE and register from the ATTENDEE's account
- For a group: email Learning@ftlf.com to complete group registration
If you encounter problems or have questions Contact us.
We accept payment by PayPal, credit card, and check. Payment for any live training is due upon registration. If payment is not received in full prior to the start of the event, FTLF reserves the right to cancel your order and deny you entrance to the training.
All cancellation or transfer requests must be received in writing at email@example.com. Requests for refunds or transfers for in-person events will be granted according to the following schedule:
- 30 or more days prior to the event, requests for a full refund or a transfer without a fee will be granted.
- Between 11 to 29 days prior to the event, requests for cancellations will be granted a 50% refund and requests for transfers will be granted, space permitting and subject to a transfer fee.
- Within 10 days of the event start date, no requests for refunds or credits will be granted. At FTLF's discretion, late transfers may be granted, space permitting and subject to a transfer fee.
If there are extenuating circumstances regarding your cancellation, please reach out to the FTLF Training Team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.