Community Action Agencies & COVID-19
Community Action Agencies provide critical services in communities across the United States, implementing numerous complex federal programs, including Community Service Block Grant programs, Head Start, LIHEAP and Weatherization, as well as state programs. The current COVID-pandemic and public health response have had incredible impacts upon CAAs and the programs they operate, while the federal response has been rolled out rapidly through a complex mix of federal initiatives.
Please join FTLF attorneys Ted Waters, Kathy Ghiladi and Scott Sheffler to discuss the federal response effort and key elements of importance to CAAs. We will address the response framework from the perspective of HHS and Administration for Children and Families guidance, while also explaining key considerations for those entities that take advantage of new programs like the SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program. Topics include
- Grant management challenges and flexibilities, including OMB, HHS, and ACF guidance;
- Overviews of new special leave requirements and how to implement them wisely in a federally funded program environment;
- CARES Act supplemental funding relevant to CAAs, including:
- $1 billion for CSBG programs (with increased eligibility thresholds for beneficiaries – but only for this supplemental 2020 funding),
- $750 million for Head Start (with $500 million designated for non-competitive supplemental grants for those “most ready” to operate supplemental summer programs), and
- $900 million for LIHEAP.
- Related programs like the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program about which you have likely heard so much, and a similar Treasury program for larger businesses about which you have likely heard less.
Kathy and Scott regularly assist CAAs with programmatic and grant management compliance and represent HHS and other recipients in audit resolution and appeals. Please join us for direct, practical answers on the unique federal program challenges faced in the COVID-19 environment.
- CEOs / Program Directors
- CFOs / Finance Personnel
- Grant Managers
- Grant Project Directors
After this webinar, you will be able to:
- Understand the key aspects of the federal COVID-19 response directly affecting Community Action Agencies.
- Discuss challenges in grant management and strategies to address those challenges.
- Examine direct and indirect impacts to CAA-managed federal programs, including CSBG, LIHEAP, Weatherization, and Head Start.
Kathy is a Partner in Feldesman Tucker’s health law practice group. In the area of health law, Kathy’s practice focuses on government-sponsored health care programs such as Medicaid, CHIP, Medicare, and the Affordable Care Act, with an emphasis on payment/reimbursement and compliance related issues. Kathy also represents clients in government investigations and audits, litigation before federal and state courts, as well as in administrative appeals with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Departmental Appeals Board (DAB) and Provider Reimbursement Review Board (PRRB). She provides reimbursement counseling (including identification, reporting, and repayment of overpayments) with respect to Medicare, Medicaid, and private third-party payors. [Full Bio]
A Partner with the firm in the Federal Grants and Health Law practice groups, Scott advises clients on matters of federal grant law, government contract law, and health care law. Scott assists clients with the myriad requirements that apply upon acceptance of federal grant funding, including the administrative requirements and cost principles established in the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance), the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circulars that preceded the Uniform Guidance, and program-specific statutory and regulatory funding conditions. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 1.80 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
ATTENDEE REQUIREMENTS FOR CPE CREDIT
If you purchase CPE credit for this webinar you must satisfy the following conditions in order to receive your certificate:
- Answer at least 6 of the 8 polling questions during the webinar
- Complete the evaluation survey after the conclusion of the webinar
Upon completion of these requirements, FTLF will email you your CPE Certificate within five (5) business days.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: CEOs / Program Directors, CFOs / Finance Personnel, Grant Managers, Grant Project Directors
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
- Attendance Requirements: In order to be awarded the full credits, you must respond to six (6) out of eight (8) polling questions.
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 1.50 Certificate of Attendance
- 1.80 CPEFTLF is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
Access to the recorded version of this webinar is included in your purchase.
ACCESSING THE RECORDING
The recorded version of this webinar will be available within two (2) business days after the conclusion of the live event. You will have access to the recording for 180 days after the live webinar has concluded. Once posted to your account, you can view this webinar anytime on-demand during the access period identified in the Recorded Webinar Now Available email. For additional information on viewing and accessing webinars, view our full terms and conditions here.
All registrations made the day of a live webinar must be completed using a credit card or PayPal. We do not accept check payments or purchase orders for live webinars on the day of the webinar. If you wish to pay by check, please register in enough time for your check to reach our office; we must receive your check before we grant access to the webinar. If we receive your check after the live webinar, we will grant you access to the recorded webinar. For the most current information, please visit our FAQ page.
For orders of live webinars, FTLF will issue a full refund for cancellations requested at least one week PRIOR to the live webinar. We do not provide refunds for no-shows; however, you may request access to the recorded version of the webinar. If you ordered the wrong webinar and need to transfer your registration to a different program, please Contact Us. View our full policy on refunds and cancellations on our FAQ page.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred browsers.