Implementing Emergency Cash Assistance Programs During COVID-19
On September 3, 2020, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) posted favorable guidance on its website to a health center that had sought to provide emergency cash assistance for patients experiencing financial hardships due to COVID-19. This is a significant legal development due to the OIG’s longstanding concerns regarding the provision of cash or cash equivalents to federal health care program beneficiaries.
Health centers are well-positioned to identify financial hardships during the COVID-19 public health emergency and provide financial assistance to patients who face food insecurity, housing instability, or transportation issues. Accordingly, other health centers may wish to consider implementing emergency cash assistance programs during the COVID-19 public health emergency.
This webinar will explain the legal risks of providing cash assistance to patients, summarize the OIG’s recently posted guidance, and suggest the adoption of certain program safeguards to minimize legal risk when providing cash assistance to patients.
- Health Center Leadership
- Compliance Officers and Risk Managers
- Quality Improvement Managers and Staff
- Grants and Program Managers and Staff
After this webinar, you will be able to:
- Discuss legal risks related to providing cash assistance to patients
- Describe the cash assistance program that received favorable treatment by the OIG
- Minimize legal risk to the health center when offering cash assistance to patients
Adam J. Falcone is a partner in FTLF’s national health law practice group, where he counsels a diverse spectrum of community-based organizations that render primary and behavioral healthcare services. Adam counsels clients on a wide range of health law issues, with a focus on fraud and abuse, reimbursement and payment, and antitrust and competition matters. [Full Bio]
Participants can earn up to 1.20 CPE credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications upon completion of all course requirements.
ATTENDEE REQUIREMENTS FOR CPE CREDIT
If you purchase CPE credit for this webinar you must satisfy the following conditions in order to receive your certificate:
- Answer at least 3 of the 5 polling questions during the webinar
- Complete the evaluation survey after the conclusion of the webinar or in the follow-up email
Upon completion of these requirements, FTLF will email you your CPE Certificate within five (5) business days.
- Prerequisites: None
- Target Audience: Health Center Leadership, Compliance Officers and Risk Managers, Quality Improvement Managers and Staff, and Grants and Program Managers and Staff
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Program Level: All
- Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
- Attendance Requirements: In order to be awarded the full credits, you must respond to three (3) out of five (5) polling questions.
Feldesman Tucker Leifer Fidell LLP is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website www.nasbaregistry.org (formerly www.learningmarket.org).
- 1.00 Certificate of Attendance
- 1.20 CPEFTLF is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors.
Access to the recorded version of this webinar is included in your purchase.
ACCESSING THE RECORDING
The recorded version of this webinar will be available within five (5) business days after the conclusion of the live event. You will have access to the recording for 180 days after the live webinar has concluded. Once posted to your account, you can view this webinar anytime on-demand during the access period identified in the Recorded Webinar Now Available email. For additional information on viewing and accessing webinars, view our full terms and conditions here.
All registrations made the day of a live webinar must be completed using a credit card or PayPal. We do not accept check payments or purchase orders for live webinars on the day of the webinar. If you wish to pay by check, please register in enough time for your check to reach our office; we must receive your check before we grant access to the webinar. If we receive your check after the live webinar, we will grant you access to the recorded webinar. For the most current information, please visit our FAQ page.
For orders of live webinars, FTLF will issue a full refund for cancellations requested at least one week PRIOR to the live webinar. We do not provide refunds for no-shows; however, you may request access to the recorded version of the webinar. If you ordered the wrong webinar and need to transfer your registration to a different program, please Contact Us. View our full policy on refunds and cancellations on our FAQ page.
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the preferred browsers.